Official Website of ASHRAE SSPC 135
This Website is dedicated to providing the latest information on BACnet - A Data Communication Protocol for Building Automation and Control Networks. Developed under the auspices of the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), BACnet is an American national standard, a European standard, a national standard in more than 30 countries, and an ISO global standard. The protocol is supported and maintained by ASHRAE Standing Standard Project Committee 135 whose members have created and provided the content for this Website.
Here you will find the latest BACnet news, the status of SSPC 135 activities, a comprehensive bibliography of BACnet publications - many of which are available on-line - along with a wealth of other information. In keeping with ASHRAE's long-standing tradition and policy of non-commercialism, this site contains no advertising. However, BACnet's success depends on the implementation of BACnet in commercial products. Thus, we are pleased to offer links to the Websites of manufacturers who are supporting BACnet through their product offerings.
The SSPC welcomes your comments and suggestions concerning this site!
- Denver Meeting Schedule Announced! (6/13) East Sooke, BC. SSPC Chairman Carl Neilson has announced the details of the upcoming SSPC 135 meeting in Denver. You can download the schedule and other information here.
- BACnet International is Seeking a Managing Director! (6/13) Atlanta, GA. The Board of Directors of BACnet International is seeking an experienced senior executive to provide operational leadership and oversight for the organization. The position specification and candidate requirements are outlined here.
- Four More Addenda begin PPR! (4/13) Atlanta, GA. Four additional addenda to BACnet-2012 have begun a 45-day public review period from April 19 to June 3, 2013: Addendum-at, Addendum-au, Addendum-av and Addendum-aw. If you wish to submit comments, visit ASHRAE's On-line Comment Database.
- Addenda 135-2012ai, al and as begin PPR! (3/13) Atlanta, GA. Three addenda to BACnet-2012 have begun a 45-day public review period from March 8 to April 29, 2013. (Yes, it's actually 45 days plus a week! Something to do with an ANSI closing date...) Addendum-ai (Network Port Object) is starting its 3rd Publication Public Review; Addendum-al (Gateway Best Practices) is starting its 4th review; and Addendum-as (Command Source Info) is starting its first review. If you wish to submit comments, visit ASHRAE's On-line Comment Database.
- BIG-EU Announces Plugfest 2013! (3/13) Dortmund, Germany. The BACnet Interest Group Europe (BIG-EU) has announced the 7th European BACnet Interoperability Workshop! Plugfest 2013 is scheduled to take place at HTW University of Applied Sciences, May 22-24, in Berlin and is open to developers and product managers. The spring BIG-EU meetings will follow on May 27-28. For information and to register, click here.
- Dallas Meeting Schedule Announced! (1/13) Vancouver, BC. Chairman Neilson has prepared this meeting schedule for attendees at SSPC 135's January meeting in Dallas, Texas. Hope to see you there!
- BACnet Application Interface Development: Call for Participants! (12/12) Vancouver, BC. The BACnet Committee's Applications Working Group (AP-WG) is starting the development of a library of standardized BACnet Application Interfaces. As the group starts the development of a specific Application Interface, the BACnet Committee will be seeking experts from the Building Automation industry to participate in a Rapid Development Group for the preparation of a rough draft of the interface. The first Application Interfaces the committee is developing are:
The AP-WG's intent is to have a draft document ready for the January meeting in Dallas. We are looking for experts who want to participate via email in determining the content of each Application Interface.
- Air Terminal Unit (ATU)
- Variable Frequency Drive (VFD)
If you are interested in participating in either of the Rapid Development Groups, please contact the AP-WG convener at the address below by December 15, 2012.
Grant Wichenko, P. Eng.
- PlugFest 2012 Report: A Complete Success!" (11/12) Tacoma, WA. Here is BTL-Manager Duffy O'Craven's summary of the event: "PlugFest 2012 at the Hotel Murano in Tacoma was a complete success, perhaps the best ever (in terms of the pairings matching requested preferences). We were blessed by 11 companies bringing workstation products, thus enabling lots of sophisticated-to-sophisticated pairings, instead of being locked into complex-vs-simple pairings which predominate when the total of workstations plus building controllers approximately equals the number of simple devices. Only two of the 49 registered teams and four of the 92 registered engineers were deterred by Hurricane Sandy. Presentations on moving up to the modern Protocol_Revisions, and on using Gateways as an interim strategy for legacy migration, completed the educational package for attendees. Oh, and it is worthy of mention: the food was sumptuous!" Kind of makes you want to get ready for PlugFest 2013!
- BI BTL-WG to Hold PlugFest 2012 in Tacoma! (10/12) Atlanta, GA. BACnet International has announced that the 13th Annual Interoperability Workshop will be held this year in Tacoma, Washington, from October 31 to November 1. This event permits vendors to test their BACnet products in a neutral and friendly environment with BACnet devices from other vendors. Last year more than 98 BACnet engineers representing 35 companies attended the workshop and improved their BACnet implementations and testing methods. For information on how to participate, click here.
- Once Again, BI Confers "Leaders of the Pack" Awards! (10/12) Las Vegas, NV. Once again, congratulations are in order for the recipients of BACnet International's "Leaders of the Pack" awards! These awards are intended to allow BACnet International members to recognize and celebrate the hard work, commitment and accomplishments of its members.
||Carl Neilson of Delta Controls
||The Bulldog Award serves to recognize an individual for always coming to the rescue and for unquestioning loyalty to BACnet International and the BACnet standard. This year, he worked tirelessly to bridge the gap between certification handbook efforts and BTL lab recognition.
|Doberman Pinscher Award
||Thomas Kurowski of WSPLab
||The Doberman Pinscher Award goes to an individual who keeps the group in line and upholds the BACnet standard. This year’s winner works for WSPLab to ensure the testing process is accurate and complete.
||The Howler Award serves to recognize a company for making a lot of noise about BACnet International and BACnet Standards. For several years, Reliable Controls has maintained a steady investment in advertising, event participation and active involvement within the BACnet community. In doing so, they always promoting BACnet as well as their own solutions. This is especially noteworthy as a privately held company.
|Fox Hound Award
||The S4 Group, Inc.
||The Fox Hound Award goes to a company who quickly and stealthily came up from behind in BACnet International. In their first year of membership, the S4 Group, Inc. migrated over 10,000 N2 devices to open BACnet interfaces.
|Best in Show Award
||WPPI Energy Office & Operations Facility
||The Best in Show Award goes to a project posted in the BACnet Success Stories. This BACnet Success Story has every hallmark of a showcase project: it is a well composed, compelling narrative. It clearly identifies the customer's needs and how BACnet was used to address them. It is a multi-vendor BACnet project, has compelling photos, all firms were identified and as a bonus, it is a LEED gold facility. In short, this is BACnet Success Story is a benchmark for excellence.
|Alpha Dog Award
||Brad Hill of Honeywell International
||The Alpha Dog Award is awarded internally to an individual who exhibits outstanding leadership within BACnet International. This person is a constant and dynamic voice of BACnet International through his leadership. It is awarded to Brad Hill of Honeywell International in recognition of his stepping up to lead the BACnet International test lab recognition initiative, which is a critical part of maintaining global consistency and collaboration in BACnet testing policies and execution.
Again, congratulations to all the award winners!
- "BACnet Academy Europe" Travels to Sweden! (9/12) Stockholm, Sweden. On September 25, 2012, the "BACnet Academy Europe" conducted its one-day training course for the first time in the Swedish capital of Stockholm. It was conducted by BIG-EU Advisory Board member Frank Schubert, MBS. The training in Stockholm was the Academy's 9th session. So far, the training has been given in a total of eight European countries and in four languages. In spite of the rigors of the training, the BACneteers had time to gather for a picture with their instructor at the extreme left:
Further information on the cirriculum and future sessions, when they are scheduled, can be found at www.bacnetacademy.org.
- Details of Upcoming SSPC Meeting in Atlanta Announced! (9/12) Sooke, BC. SSPC Chair Carl Neilson has distributed information for the upcoming meeting, November 5-9, 2012, in Atlanta. To download the information, click here.
- Addenda 135-2010al and ar begin PPR. (9/12) Atlanta, GA. Two addenda are now in a 45-day Publication Public Review cycle from September 21 to November 5, 2012. Addendum 135-2010al deals with best practices for gateway design and adds some new BIBBS and Device Profiles. Addendum 135-2010ar adds several new engineering units, allows unicast I-Have messages and provides several other clarifications and enhancements. If you wish to submit comments, visit ASHRAE's On-line Comment Database.
- ¡Hola! BACnet Journals to Embrace the Hispanic World! (7/12) Dortmund, Germany. In an effort to promote BACnet in the growing Hispanic markets, MarDirect has announced the development of a "BACnet Journal for Latin America, Portugal and Spain" that will contain articles and advertisements in both Spanish and Portugese. Scheduled to make its first appearance in October of this year, the new journal will add to MarDirect's stable of publications that target Europe (English/German), France (French), Italy (Italian), the Middle East (English) and China (Chinese). According to Mardirect, "The BACnet Journals are the trade magazines for building automation based on BACnet technology. Experts, practitioners and professionals show the way in applying and developing the BACnet standard – from building automation trends to devices and application projects; from qualification and trainings to testing and certification; from who is who in the BACnet community to useful information on events and publications." For more detailed information on the BACnet Journals, click here. For information specifically on the new journal for Latin America, Portugal and Spain, please contact Ana María Jurisch at MarDirect!
- June 20-24, 2013. SSPC 135 Meeting, Denver, Co.
BACnet® is a registered trademark of American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE). For more information see the notice.