Official Web Site of ASHRAE SSPC 135
This section contains previously released news items for your information. They are arranged with the most recent at the top, the oldest at the bottom.
|Old BACnet News
For news from previous years, click here:
- SSPC Chairman Neilson Reports on Atlanta Interim Meeting! (11/14) Atlanta, GA. The BACnet Committee met the week of November 3-7 at the Georgia Tech campus in Atlanta. During the meeting it was reported that a number of addenda had completed public review with no substantive changes required and thus were on the home stretch towards publication. Among those is Addendum 135-2012ai which adds the Network Port object type for interoperable network configuration of BACnet devices. This addendum has been under development for many years. Addendum 135-2012ai moving towards publication has also allowed Addendum 135-2012al to move forwards as it contains changes that require the Network Port object. Addendum 135-2012al includes a section on best practices for BACnet gateway developers and also introduces changes to BACnet's device profiles allowing devices to claim multiple profiles such a Building Controller and web-based Operator Workstation.
The command source information addendum, Addendum 135-2012as, also completed its public review and will be moving along the path towards publication. The command course information functionality was initially proposed by the Institute of Electrical Installation Engineers of Japan (IEIEJ) who have been integral in developing the direction for this addendum in partnership with the BACnet Committee.
The committee also spent time updating addenda which are slated for further public review cycles. Addendum 135-2012ba, which provides a mechanism for semantic tagging and logical modelling of BACnet devices in CSML, is almost ready for another public review, and significant advances were made in preparing Addendum 135-2012am, the next revision of BACnet Web Services, which expands upon the work of Addendum 135-2012ba. The Application Working Group made progress on its work of developing semantic tags for applications which also relies on Addendum 135-2012ba.
The Elevator Working Group has prepared another public review draft of Addendum 135-2012aq with content that extends the BACnet standard into the elevator and lift vertical market (pun intended).
All in all, the week-long meeting was fruitful, and the results should be making their way into public spaces in the near future.
- BUGNE Schedules Second Meeting! (11/14) Boston, MA. The BACnet User Group New England has announced that its second meeting will be held on November 19, 2014 in Burlington, Massachusetts, hosted by Philips Color Kinetics. The theme of this event is "BACnet Integration Challenges and their Resolutions". There will be presenters from Cimetrics and Siemens talking about the challenges they faced with BACnet integration at the job site and then a discussion based on the presentations. Andy McMillan, President of BACnet International, will also give an overview of BTL testing and what it means for a product to be BTL Listed. For information about this event, please visit www.bacnetusergroupne.com.
- SSPC 135 Members Meet with SPC 201P to Work on Smart Grid! (10/14) Boston, MA. A small group of BACnet Committee members met with members of SPC 201P, the ASHRAE Facility Smart Grid Information Model (FSGIM) committee, in Andover, Massachusetts in early October. The discussion focused on the FSGIM and how the model will be realized in BACnet. The highly technical review of the model pointed to a number of challenges for the BACnet Committee and a few issues that SPC 201P will need to address. The meeting ended with a reaffirmation of the direction that the BACnet Committee's Smart Grid Working Group decided on 1 1/2 years ago at their Smart Grid Summit at NIST.
- PlugFest 2014 to be Hosted by BI! (10/14) Atlanta, GA. The BI BACnet Testing Laboratories Working Group (BTL-WG) has announced the 2014 Interoperability Workshop at the Charleston Marriot in Charleston, SC, October 28-30. This is the 15th annual "PlugFest" and permits vendors to test their BACnet products in a neutral and friendly environment with BACnet devices from other vendors. Last year nearly 90 BACnet engineers representing 39 companies attended the workshop and improved their BACnet implementations and testing methods. For more info, including registration details, click here!
- Steve Karg Receives the 2014 Swan Award! (7/14) Seattle, WA.> Steve Karg was presented the 2014 Swan Award at the Seattle meeting by Klaus Wächter of Siemens. Here is what Klaus had to say:
Polarsoft started something in 2011 that was supposed to become a tradition, the Swan Award, in memory of former SSPC chairman Bill Swan. The criteria for winners of the Swan Award were: WG leader, implementer, author of articles for the public, participant and helper in public forums, a BACnet evangelist.
Whenever you are doing something like this, you have to choose somebody. We went through the criteria and finally we agreed on someone who represents a lot of the things that we admired most about Bill.
The person we would like to honor in 2014 has become well known in the United States and globally for his outstanding BACnet knowledge and his supportive work and attitude.
He has been active on the BACnet standards committee since 2001 and every one of us would countersign that he is one of the nicest and most helpful guys we have ever had in this group.
As far as I know, he does not drink alcohol at all. Most of us are now out of the race for the award but I am sure that one of us is starting to realize who I am talking about.
So we were in need of an alternative to the nice bottle of Whiskey which normally comes along with the award ... And finally, we were successful. But more on this later./p>
The Swan award winner this year has outstanding knowledge of BACnet MS/TP and furthermore is very active in the open source software community, in BACnet projects in particular. His open source BACnet stack is used in a lot of implementations meanwhile and in that way helps to push BACnet forward.
Ladies and Gentlemen, we are very pleased to present the Swan Award 2014 to ... Steve Karg. Congratulations and applause for Steve Karg!
Coming back to the part about alcohol: We have added to the award a Raspberry Pi with an I/O module because we think this will give Steve as much fun as others would have with a bottle of Whiskey.
Once again, congratulations to Steve Karg, and happy times with the Rasperry Pi!
Congratulations, Steve, from the entire BACnet community!
- Cimetrics to Host a "Minimally-Bureaucratic" User Group for New England! (05/14) Boston, MA. Here is their announcement: "Please join us at the Cimetrics office at 141 Tremont Street in downtown Boston on Thursday, June 12, 2014, from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM, for a BACnet user group round table. The purpose of the BACnet User Group is to bring together the local BACnet user community on a quarterly basis to share tips, techniques and pains on the use of BACnet products and technologies. The user group features BACnet experts from Cimetrics Jim Butler and meter expert Albert Putnam.
Bring your burning BACnet questions, share your BACnet user experience with us, meet like minded individuals. Coffee, tea and refreshments are on us!
- BIG-EU Announces Euro-Plugfest-2014! (02/14) Dortmund, Germany.
The BACnet Interest Group - Europe is inviting interested BACnet implementers to sign up for its 8th BACnet Interoperability Workshop, also known as a "Plugfest"! This year's event will take place from May 21 to May 23 and will be hosted by Siemens Switzerland AG, Building Technologies Division in Zug, Switzerland. For more information and/or to register, click here!
- BACnet Forum France 2014 on February 11! (02/14) Paris, France.
A one-day forum covering a wide range of interesting BACnet topics will be held on Tuesday, February 11, in Paris. Complete details may be found in this flyer!
[2011 News] [2010 News] [2009 News]
[2007 News] [2006 News] [2005 News] [2004 News]
[2003 News] [2002 News] [2001 News] [2000 News] [1999 News]