Official Website of ASHRAE SSPC 135
This Website is dedicated to providing the latest information on BACnet - A Data Communication Protocol for Building Automation and Control Networks. Developed under the auspices of the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), BACnet is an American national standard, a European standard, a national standard in more than 30 countries, and an ISO global standard. The protocol is supported and maintained by ASHRAE Standing Standard Project Committee 135 whose members have created and provided the content for this Website.
Here you will find the latest BACnet news, the status of SSPC 135 activities, a comprehensive bibliography of BACnet publications - many of which are available on-line - along with a wealth of other information. In keeping with ASHRAE's long-standing tradition and policy of non-commercialism, this site contains no advertising. However, BACnet's success depends on the implementation of BACnet in commercial products. Thus, we are pleased to offer links to the Websites of manufacturers who are supporting BACnet through their product offerings.
The SSPC welcomes your comments and suggestions concerning this site!
- PlugFest 2014 to be Hosted by BI! (10/14) Atlanta, GA. The BI BACnet Testing Laboratories Working Group (BTL-WG) has announced the 2014 Interoperability Workshop at the Charleston Marriot in Charleston, SC, October 28-30. This is the 15th annual "PlugFest" and permits vendors to test their BACnet products in a neutral and friendly environment with BACnet devices from other vendors. Last year nearly 90 BACnet engineers representing 39 companies attended the workshop and improved their BACnet implementations and testing methods. For more info, including registration details, click here!
- Steve Karg Receives the 2014 Swan Award! (7/14) Seattle, WA.> Steve Karg was presented the 2014 Swan Award at the Seattle meeting by Klaus Wšchter of Siemens. Here is what Klaus had to say:
Polarsoft started something in 2011 that was supposed to become a tradition, the Swan Award, in memory of former SSPC chairman Bill Swan. The criteria for winners of the Swan Award were: WG leader, implementer, author of articles for the public, participant and helper in public forums, a BACnet evangelist.
Whenever you are doing something like this, you have to choose somebody. We went through the criteria and finally we agreed on someone who represents a lot of the things that we admired most about Bill.
The person we would like to honor in 2014 has become well known in the United States and globally for his outstanding BACnet knowledge and his supportive work and attitude.
He has been active on the BACnet standards committee since 2001 and every one of us would countersign that he is one of the nicest and most helpful guys we have ever had in this group.
As far as I know, he does not drink alcohol at all. Most of us are now out of the race for the award but I am sure that one of us is starting to realize who I am talking about.
So we were in need of an alternative to the nice bottle of Whiskey which normally comes along with the award ... And finally, we were successful. But more on this later./p>
The Swan award winner this year has outstanding knowledge of BACnet MS/TP and furthermore is very active in the open source software community, in BACnet projects in particular. His open source BACnet stack is used in a lot of implementations meanwhile and in that way helps to push BACnet forward.
Ladies and Gentlemen, we are very pleased to present the Swan Award 2014 to ... Steve Karg. Congratulations and applause for Steve Karg!
Coming back to the part about alcohol: We have added to the award a Raspberry Pi with an I/O module because we think this will give Steve as much fun as others would have with a bottle of Whiskey.
Once again, congratulations to Steve Karg, and happy times with the Rasperry Pi!
Congratulations, Steve, from the entire BACnet community!
- Cimetrics to Host a "Minimally-Bureaucratic" User Group for New England! (05/14) Boston, MA. Here is their announcement: "Please join us at the Cimetrics office at 141 Tremont Street in downtown Boston on Thursday, June 12, 2014, from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM, for a BACnet user group round table. The purpose of the BACnet User Group is to bring together the local BACnet user community on a quarterly basis to share tips, techniques and pains on the use of BACnet products and technologies. The user group features BACnet experts from Cimetrics Jim Butler and meter expert Albert Putnam.
Bring your burning BACnet questions, share your BACnet user experience with us, meet like minded individuals. Coffee, tea and refreshments are on us!
Register here - space is limited."
- BIG-EU Announces Euro-Plugfest-2014! (02/14) Dortmund, Germany.
The BACnet Interest Group - Europe is inviting interested BACnet implementers to sign up for its 8th BACnet Interoperability Workshop, also known as a "Plugfest"! This year's event will take place from May 21 to May 23 and will be hosted by Siemens Switzerland AG, Building Technologies Division in Zug, Switzerland. For more information and/or to register, click here!
- BACnet Forum France 2014 on February 11! (02/14) Paris, France.
A one-day forum covering a wide range of interesting BACnet topics will be held on Tuesday, February 11, in Paris. Complete details may be found in this flyer!
- Fall SSPC Meeting to be Held Again at Georgia Tech! (10/13) Atlanta, GA. This year's fall SSPC 135 Plenary and Working Groups meetings will again be hosted by Georgia Tech in Atlanta from Monday, November 4 until Friday, November 8. Complete details may be found here!
- BI Confers "Leaders of the Pack" Awards for 2013! (10/13) Las Vegas, NV.
Congratulations are in order for the recipients of BACnet International's "Leaders of the Pack" awards! These awards are intended to allow BACnet International members to recognize and celebrate the hard work, commitment and accomplishments of its members.
||Dave Robin of Automated Logic
||The Bulldog Award serves to recognize an individual for always coming to the rescue and for unquestioning loyalty to BACnet International and the BACnet standard. Dave Robin led the BACnet Committee for four years, served on the BACnet International Board of Directors, pushes BACnet on ISO TC 205, and tirelessly develops BACnetís CSML, web services, and related technologies that are core to BACnetís future direction.
|Doberman Pinscher Award
||Paul Jordan of American Auto-Matrix
||The Doberman Pinscher Award is given for keeping the group in line and upholding the BACnet standard. Paul Jordan is an intelligent and thoughtful leader. He serves on the BACnet International Board of Directors. He has been a technical force within the building automation industry for decades. He is faithfully committed to the goals of the BACnet International community and contributes his times and talents to our mutual advancement.
||Ben Dorsey of KMC Controls
||The Howler Award serves to recognize an individual for making a lot of noise about BACnet International and BACnet Standard. Ben Dorsey promotes the BACnet standard and BACnet International on a level that is unmatched by his industry peers. His involvement on the BACnet International Marketing Committee acts as an almost endless supply of fuel for his BACnet fire. At KMC Controls corporate events, customer meetings, sales visits, and industry exhibitions, Ben works tirelessly to promote BACnet International and KMC Controls' involvement with the organization. Ben's exuberance and energy in educating the world on the topic of BACnet has greatly increased visibility and awareness of the standard.
|Fox Hound Award
||Lutron Electronics Co., Inc.
||The Fox Hound Award goes to a company who quickly and stealthily came up from behind in BACnet International. In the last two years Lutron has joined BACnet International as a silver member, participated in PlugFests and on BACnet Internationalís Education Committee. Lutron recently achieved the BTL Listing for its Quantum processor. This firmly establishes Lutron as an early adopter and pioneer in virtual BACnet networks.
|Best in Show Award
||The Bullitt Center
||The Best in Show Award goes to a project posted in the BACnet Success Stories. The Bullitt Center is a first of a kind and a great example of a control system capability. The KMC BACnet System is used to control most parts of the building beyond the HVAC. This includes the rain-water recycle, grey water, window control and the geothermal plant.
|Jack Russell Award
||Mike Olson of ABB, Inc.
||The Jack Russell Award is awarded to an individual who is always doing something for the betterment of BACnet International and the BACnet standard. With over 30 years industry experience, Mike Olson has repeatedly written articles, taught sessions and planned conferences in the BACnet community.
Congratulations to all the 2013 award winners!
- BTL-WG is Preparing PlugFest 2013! (10/13) Atlanta, GA. The BACnet International (BI) BACnet Testing Laboratories Working Group (BTL-WG)is organizing the 2013 Interoperability Workshop at the Westin Atlanta Perimeter North Hotel in Atlanta, GA. This is the 14th annual "PlugFest." This event permits vendors to test their BACnet products in a neutral and friendly environment with BACnet devices from other vendors. Last year more than 98 BACnet engineers representing 35 companies attended the workshop and improved their BACnet implementations and testing methods. For more information, including registration details, click here!
- Oct. 28-30, PlugFest 2014, Charleston, SC
- Nov. 3-7, SSPC Fall Meeting, Atlanta, GA
BACnet® is a registered trademark of American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE). For more information see the notice. This web site is hosted by the BACnet Advocacy Group, you can find us Google+.